About the Mill Hill Inn
The History of the Mill Hill Inn
The Mill Hill Inn, formerly known as L'Auberge, started its life as a barn in New Hampshire. In the late 1800's, the barn was disassembled and floated down the Androscroggin River, the fastest form of transportation of the time, to its current location in Bethel. The barn was used by G.L. Thurston to shelter his work horses, used in his surrounding logging fields.For a number of years, the barn stood vacant until it was purchased in the 1940s by the manager of the Bethel Inn, Peter Schutt. Right across the street from the Bethel Inn, the barn was a perfect location for him to locate his family of four daughters. He converted the barn into living quarters, indulging in four separate bathrooms for his girls. The rooms he created are the same layout for the present day Mill Hill Inn. Three other families lived in the barn-now-private-residence until 1977 when Dr. Werner Kohlmeyer and his wife Irene purchased the building and converted it into a country hostelry called L'Auberge Country Inn. The Kohlmeyers established beautiful gardens and were known for the delicious and fresh French cuisine served to their visitors. Several owners have run the L'Auberge until it was closed down in 2006. Even though the Inn has gone through significant renovations, several historical pieces still give the inn its charm, from the large wooden beams to the framed pages of old books left behind. The old gardens continue to produce a sea of vegetation from fiddleheads to day lillies. To learn more about the history of the town of Bethel, visit the Bethel Chamber's site at bethelmaine.com or the Bethel Historical Society at bethelhistorical.org.
About Woody Hughes
Potter, Artist, Husband, Father, Teacher, Mentor, Owner, Chef, Inn Keeper